The Rhodes Scholarships through the University of Oxford offers scholarships to international students. This seeks to cover postgraduate courses to outstanding scholars who intend to further their postgraduate studies at the Institution.
Established in 1902, the Rhodes scholarship seems to be one of the oldest scholarships around. Oxford University is also a prestigious school with an influx of thousands of foreign students every year.
- Course Level: Masters and Ph.D
- Eligible Nationals: Africans, Foreign nationals, International students
- Host Institution : University of Oxford
- Location: UK
- Application deadline: varied August- Oct, 2019
- Course start date: 2020
The scholarship shall cover the following countries and regions
- Australia, New Zealand, Bermuda, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Jamaica & the Commonwealth Caribbean
- Canada, USA
- West Africa : Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo.
- East Africa: Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Burundi
- Southern Africa: South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, and eSwatin
- Kenya, Zambia, Zimbabwe
- Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Palestine (SJLP), United Arab Emirates
The Scholarship Value
The Rhodes Scholarships shall cover the following
- University and College fees;
- the University application fee;
- Stipend of£15,144 per annum.
- economy class airfare to Oxford at the beginning of the scholarship and another economy flight back to the student’s home country at the end of the scholarship. This shall cover only the scholarship recipient.
Level & Fields of Study Covered
This Scholarship shall be to complete full-time studies in any of the eligible Masters or PhD courses offered at University of Oxford.
To be eligible to apply for the Rhodes Scholarships, prospective applicants must meet the following;
- Only eligible countries listed above can apply. Applicants are advised to check the scholarship website for country-specific requirements and deadlines.
- For Master’s degree applicants, ensure you have completed the required bachelor’s degree prior to submitting an application. While all Ph.D. Applicants should ensure they have completed their Master’s degree prior to submitting an application. Oxford may have other requirements based on the competitiveness of the school. Applicants are advised to check their website.
For other eligibility requirements, kindly check your home country specifics page listed on the scholarship website.
How to Submit an Application
In other to participate successfully in the Rhodes Scholarships program, applicants should follow the procedures Stated below
- Ensure you read all information in your home country country-specific page and follow the process listed there to submit an application.
- Deadline varies per country; however, it is between July-October