Interested in completing your Doctoral course in Canada, The Canadian Government through its various agencies are offering the Vanier Canada PhD Scholarships to qualified candidates who meet the requirements.
About the Institution
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) Was launched in 2008 by the Canadian government with the aim of not only attracting PhD students into the country but to also retain them and ensure the country establishes a reputation as a global force for excellence and higher learning in areas like natural sciences, engineering, humanities, social sciences and health. Through this arrangement, more than 116 scholarships worth $50,000 is awarded on an annual basis each scholarship has a 3 years non-renewable tenure to qualified students who have demonstrated capabilities in Academic Excellence,Leadership andResearch Potential,
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), and Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) are the three government agencies through which the scholarships grants are distributed
- Course Level: Doctorate Degree (PhD)
- Eligible Nationals: Foreign Nationals, Permanent residents and Canadian Citizens can apply
- Host Institution : All Participating Canadian Universities
- Location: Canada
- Application deadline: October, 2018
- Course start date: 2019
The Scholarship Value
The Federal government approved value shall be $50,000. The program is to run for a maximum of three years
Level & Fields of Study Covered
The Scholarships shall be available to pursue Postgraduate Doctorate degree in any of the approved participating Canadian schools
Eligibility Criteria for the Scholarship
To be eligible to apply for the Vanier CGSScholarships, prospective applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Candidate must be nominated by a Canadian institution and nominating school must also meet all requirements for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship (Vanier CGS) because any nominations that do not meet all of the eligibility criteria will be disregarded.
- As of May 1, 2019, candidates should have completed 20 months or less of doctoral studies (you can check how the months are calculated in the scholarship announcement page);
- For the interest of this program, the PhD applied for must be the candidate’s first doctoral degree including joint research program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD –however be informed that if the degree is combined, then the funding will apply to only the PhD portion
- All applicants must not be a holder of or have previouslyheld, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from SSHR, CIHR or NSERC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
- Applicants can either be an International, a Canadian permanent resident or a Canadian Citizen
- During the tenure of the scholarship, successful students must remain enrolled in the doctoral program and must show signs of significant progress.
- Applicants must be registered unconditionally as a full-time doctorate degree student at the nominating Canadian institution (degreecan as well be combined as MA/PhD, MSc/PhD, or MD/PhD);
- You can be nominated by only one Canadian institution, and the school must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- Your institution must determine if you have a first-class average, in each of the last two years of full-time study
- Institution must provide confirmation of registration in a full-time Ph.D. program at a Canadian university
- You must not have a faculty appointment assignment that is running the same time with the Vanier Scholarship. You can however obtain a leave of absence
How to Submit an Application
In other to participate successfully in the Vanier CGS Scholarshipsprogram, applicants should follow the procedures Stated below
Candidates can only be nominated by the institution at which they want to study. theycannot apply directly to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program. Therefore, they should check with their various institutions for deadlines. You can check the scholarship announcement page for full details on the application process
Visit their Scholarship announcement page for complete information on the program and application process